Lone Pensioner Allowance

Ratepayers aged 70 or over who live alone may be entitled to 20 %  discount on their rates.  Both tenants AND homeowners are eligible for Lone Pensioner Allowance. If you are claiming social security benefits these should not be affected because the allowance is not means-tested, therefore you do not need to provide information about your income or savings to be eligible. You can also claim the allowance on top of any other benefits such as Housing Benefit or Rate Relief.

Homeowners: Lone Pensioner Allowance (LPA) entitles you to 20 per cent discount on your rates if:

  • you are a pensioner aged 70 or over
  • you live on your own
  • you own your home
  • you pay rates for your home

If someone else lives with you, you may still be entitled to the allowance, if they are providing care to you and they’re not a disqualified relative.

How to claim Lone Pensioner Allowance as a Homeowner

If you own and occupy your home, you must apply through Land & Property Services (LPS).  Once the allowance has been awarded, there is no need to re-apply as the discount will automatically be applied to your rate bill every year.

To apply, fill in an application form which can be downloaded below. The form can be edited on screen and printed off, or you can print it off, complete manually, sign and send.

Alternatively, you can telephone: 0300 200 7801 or email applicationbased.raterelief@finance-ni.gov.uk asking for an application form to be sent in the post. 

How to claim lone pensioners allowance as a Tenant

Tenants who pay rates and are eligible for LPA  apply to the Housing Executive (NIHE) using an NIHE application form.

Lone Pensioner Allowance (LPA) entitles you to 20 per cent discount on your rates if:

  • you are a pensioner aged 70 or over
  • You live on your own. (If you are no longer able to live on your own because you need someone to help care for you, you might still be entitled to LPA. When you apply, the Housing Executive (NIHE) will ask you about the person who lives with you)
  • you rent your home
  • you pay rates for your home

If you are entitled to LPA, you will continue to receive this unless:

  • someone comes to live with you
  • you no longer have to pay rates
  • the amount you have to pay for your rates changes

Applying for LPA as a tenant

To get this allowance, you need to fill in an application form. You will need to provide:

  • your National Insurance number
  • your date of birth
  • how much you pay for your rates if you rent from a private landlord or housing association

If you rent your home or you previously owned the property you live in and you still pay rates, download an application form or ask for a form:

How is LPA paid?

LPA is always paid direct into an account for you. This could be:

  • Your rent or rates account if you are a Housing Executive or a housing association tenant
  • Your rate account if you are a private tenant or you pay your rates to Land & Property Services

If you want more information about help paying your rates, contact the outreach officer in LPS:

Or write to them  Land & Property Services
Lone Pensioner Allowance
Lanyon Plaza
7 Lanyon Place
Town Parks